Thursday, February 3, 2011

MAKE UP TO DIE FOR?

Today I was wondering around the city looking for more cosmetic lines to review, and visiting my favourite places on earth (M.A.C and Sephora). Since I already have so much information on the lines carried at Sephora and M.A.C, I decided to branch out a little and see what the typical budget beauty might be buying for herself instead, (because, let's face it, not everyone wants to spend 20 bucks on a single eyeshadow). This adventure lead me first to Winners (I believe this department store is equivalent to Target if you are a US reader). Winners carries a small variety of beauty, including E.L.F. cosmetics. I've seen lots of YouTubers vloging about there palettes, and decided to pick up a few things to see for myself. I ended up buying the "smokey eye duo kit", which comes complete with 4 duo eye shadows and all over eyeshadow brush.
So I figured, for $8.99, with 8 eyeshadow colours and a brush, this seems like something a person who is interested in makeup,  but doesn't want to spend a fortune, would buy. 
I swatched all 8 colours when I got home, and they all have a pretty strong pigment for such cheapies. However it was the ingredients list that got me thinking. There is so much speculation going on right now about what ingredients in makeup are safe, and which could be potentially dangerous. I've decided to do a break down of some of the more concerning ones, and let you decide for yourself!  More specifically, PARAFFINIUM LIQUIDUM, PETROLATUM, METHYLPARABEN and PROPLPARABEN
Let me de-code all that science-y mumbo jumbo for you a little bit.

Parabens
definition: are a synthetic chemical that stops micro organisms that may be harmful, from growing on the cosmetics and help preserve the chemical integrity of the product.
warnings: parabens have estrogen like qualities and have been found in cancerous tumours. Research is still being done to determine if they effect healthy tissue.
conclusion: the FDA does not currently believe that parabens in cosmetics can lead to any health risks (October 2007). 

  Paraffinum liquidum
definition: it's the super science way of saying mineral oil (go on, impress your friends)! It's also super cheap, which is why so many cosmetic companies use it! It is a petroleum by product.
warnings: mineral oil had been said to clogs your pores, promotes acne and premature aging
conclusion: i'm neither here nor there. I hear both good and bad arguments on the subject. There is no evidence that really supports either theory.


Petroleum
essentially the same as paraffinum. When you put this stuff on your skin, it creates a barrier, therefore nothing can go in, and nothing can get out. It prevents the skin from breathing and producing natural oils. 



So there ya have it. A quick look at the ingredients that may not be for the eco friendly chicks! I will always suggest researching products before you try them, even if that just means talking to a beauty expert at the place you chose to buy your cosmetics. I would strongly advise against buying makeup where there is no beauty personnel to speak to, ESPECIALLY if you are not advanced in makeup.
Thanks for reading ;)
xo

3 comments:

  1. Paraffinum Liquidum sounds more like a spell from Harry Potter than an actual scientific term! Perhaps if they dropped one "f" and "Liquidum"...

    The parabens concern me more though - so long as you're careful not to get too close to your eyes maybe ok.

    Please keep up the ingredient info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The US version of Winners is TJ Maxx.
    And have you ever thought of checking out the Shoppers make up section/Beauty Boutique. It's awesome for ladies that DO want their high end make up along with cheapie staples all in one joint. AND get points for it and fancy redemptions for FREE make up.
    Hello free Dior!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell how often I shop in the states?
    And yes, shoppers drug mart is a definite go to for makeup. I'm there all the time. I don't usually buy my high end stuff from there though. I love optimum points, but I love beauty insider points too!
    xo

    ReplyDelete